Monday, August 28, 2006

modern art: 1, Ian: 0.

Salzburg has been an interesting experience, like the chance to learn how to type on a German keyboard, the chance to see rayband-sporting Mozarts (yes, plural) rocking out in town square, or the chance to drink in a giant church devoted to by-the-litre beer consumption.

We#re staying at the super-keen all natural good times family funhouse and youth hostel (jugend and familiengasteshause!). They show the sound of music everynight at 8, but what gets me every time is that each of these viewing is packed. The place feels like an all-ages summer camp, a sort of depressing wholesomeness powered by rootbeer and pizza parties.

Salzburg is gorgeous, all medieval architecture and what 'ave you. I've toured castles, looked at old things and generally have been impressed all around. I'm in the midst of the Salzburg music festival, its a Mozart orgy!

Speaking of (best segue ever), I decided to tour the Salzburg gallery of modern art. I've been reading some mad The Fountainhead, andf the exhibit as devoted to the influence of art on architecture (stage design). It was great, I toured, learned, dropped words like "cubism" to impress people, stroked my chin and looked just disinterested enough to appear confident. Then I came to the final room. All of the others had been oh so quiet, oh so modern. Still places I felt I had mastered. Then I opened the door, I entered a space that#s hard to describe...european? Austrian? High-octane-facehammer-chocolatebunny-hitler fighting an ostrich-furiousMozart-meatexplosion-rotating-chamber of perverse and immoral leprechauns?

Well played modern art, well played...

Tomorrow I fly Ryan air to London, then one more day in London before I head to Gatwick at 6 for my flight at 10. Following some keen time-travel, home at around noon-something.

Time to veroffentlichen this post, see you soon.

Ian

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bah! I tried to comment before on your other posts, but the website could feel my envy and laughed maniacally while it rejected my words. Sigh.

As for Salzburg, glad to hear you enjoyed (and sorry to hear I missed the modern art... sounds very giant pink stiletto room). I thought the city itself was aestheticallly the most beautiful I saw, surprisingly. If you get a chance before you go, check out Hotel Stein. You can have great cheap food and beer on the rooftop, and the view is spectacular. And snap a few pictures of the rocking Mozarts, that just sounds like good times.

see you soon?

10:16 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HARGREAVES YOU'D BETTER NOT BE ALL "OH I'M HOME I'MA NOT GONNA POST ON THIS BLOG NO MORE LIKE A NO-BLOGGIN-CHUMP."

Oh caps, you're so good to me.

8:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home